Saturday 8 February 2014

One-Shot: Portia's Late

Ellen's POV

I look up from my place on the couch the clock. I sigh realising that the food I cooked would now almost certainly be cold. I decide not to waste it so take it out of the now cold oven and put half into the microwave. Once I have finished I clean up putting Portia's half into the fridge and make my way upstairs to bed. Tonight was meant to be our first meal together in 3 weeks. Since the filming of arrested development started Portia has barely been back before 10pm. I try not to get too mad with her though because I know how many times I've been late back and she has put up with it but I can't not be mad tonight. We had agreed that tonight that no matter what happens we'll both be back in time. I change into my bed clothes and lay down in our marital bed. I turn over onto my side and begin to cry. By the time I hear the front door closing I look up to the clock to realise that I must have cried myself to sleep. I pretend to be asleep when she enters the bedroom not wanting to start an argument.

Portia's POV

I sigh walking in through the front door knowing how angry Ellen is going to be. I take off my shoes and place my bag on the side walking into the living room expecting Ellen to be sat on the sofa. When I enter the room I notice the darkness and begin to worry. Usually Ellen would wait up for me no matter how late I am. I hurry upstairs and slowly open our bedroom door. I look over to the bed and my heart sinks. My wife is lay asleep but has clearly been crying. I grab my bed clothes on my way to the bathroom. I look at myself in the mirror seeing the bag's under my eyes. I slam my fist down on the edge of the sink in anger; hating myself for doing this to my wife. I think of all the times Ellen has been late from work and how that has made me feel but she has never been late continuously for three weeks. She always makes it up to me with a present or a date night. I'm beginning to wonder that if I keep going like this if i'll ever be able to make it up to her. I quickly brush my teeth before making my way to bed. As I crawl underneath the covers I hesitate before placing my arm around my wife. She grabs my arm, shocking me a little as I thought she was asleep, before removing it from her waist and sitting up in bed.

"I'm sorry Ell I really am." I whisper starting to cry.

"I don't want to hear it." Ellen says before standing from the bed and walking towards the door.

"Please Ell." I beg

"You promised." My heart breaks as I look at her eyes which are swollen from all the crying. I see the hurt I have caused and for the first time since I met her I really feel as if I'm losing her.

"Ell." I sob. "I-I they wouldn't let me leave."

"No." she says simply. Her calmness scares me, I almost wish she was screaming at me. "You just didn't want to say no to them." With that she opens the door and leaves the room. I lie in bed crying and thinking how I can make this up to her but I really can't think of how. The anger at myself is slowly burning up inside of me. I jump up from the bed, change into some casual clothes, pack a bag and storm downstairs. When I reach the lounge I see my wife sitting on the couch staring into space. I set my bag down near the door and walk around the sofa so I am stood in front of her. I place my fingers over my ring then hesitate. thinking of all the happy times me and my wife have had, before pulling the ring from my finger. I reach the palm holding the ring out to Ellen.

"Here." I mumble. She looks up from the floor to the ring in my hand and finally into my eyes.

"Port that's not what I want and you know that." she says standing from the couch.

"I don't know how to fix this Ell. So take it please."

"No I refuse."

"Well I'm going to leave it here then." I say placing the ring on the coffee table then turning to walk out of the lounge as I reach my bag and the door I feel Ellen grab my arm.

"Please don't." she whispers.

"I have to. This is all my fault." I state before picking up my bag and reaching for the front door. Before I can grab the handle my wife jumps between me and the door pulling me into a hug. I drop my bag in shock as she starts to sob into my shoulder. Bringing my arms around her back I bury my head into her shoulder as we stand there crying. After ten or so minutes we pull away and silently make our way back to our bedroom. "Please tell me how to fix this." I say looking into my wifes eyes as she pulls back the bed sheets.

"Just be here."

"I promise and this time I mean it. As tomorrow is Saturday I'm going to ring in sick and we can spend the day together. Then when I get back to work on Monday I'll speak to Mitch and tell him I can't do this anymore."

"No." she says as we both flop back into the bed. I turn my head to face her looking confused.

"Sorry?"

"No you're going to tell him that you're making yourself ill working so much because you are Port. I've seen how little sleep you've been getting. Then you're going to arrange so that you're only working a certain amount of hours per day. You can't quit completely. You love this job."

"Okay." I say looking at my wife who has turned to me. I smile at her before closing my eyes ready to sleep not expecting her to close the gap between us. I have hurt her and she needs time to forgive me. I feel her shifting in the bed as I am drifting off. Just before I fall asleep completely I feel her hand on mine causing my eyes to shoot open in shock.

"Portia." she says softly.

"Yeah."

"I love you. I will always love you no matter what you do. You're my weak spot. I really can't be angry at you for anything. Which I guess is kinda bad." she chuckles to herself. "So please stop blaming yourself. The only reason this has happened is because you're too nice a person to say no to the producers. I can't lie to say I wasn't disappointed. I cooked food and everything but I know that there have been a hundred times when I've done this to you. Just promise me something." I start to cry again realising how much effort Ellen had put into tonight.

"Y-yeah."

"Just never leave me okay? No matter how angry you think I am or how angry you are. Just please promise." she begs me.

"Of course. I-I just I dunno I guess I thought it was what you wanted."

"Never." she interrupts me quickly placing a soft kiss on my lips. I pull back looking into her eyes.

"We're forever aren't we?"

"I thought you already knew that." she chuckles closing the gap by wrapping her arms around my waist. I snuggle into her breathing in her smell.

"I love you too Ell."

"Good. Now get some sleep."

I am amazed at how she is still trying to look after me after how badly I have neglected our relationship in the last few weeks.

"Mmm. How did I get you." I say sleepily more to myself than to Ell. I feel her laughing below me as I slowly drift off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment