Thursday 6 February 2014

One Shot: Niece Time

Portia's POV

Ellen loves to have Eva and Perry over. The joy on her face when they're around is obvious. A lot of people ask us why we never had kids and I can understand why. Ellen is so good with them. I smile thinking about the day ahead as I sneak out of bed to make Ellen's coffee. As I am pouring it however, my plan of waking Ell up with a coffee is ruined as I feel two hands snake their way around me.

"Coffee" she barely whispers into my ear as she rests her head sleepily on my shoulder.

"Morning baby." I smile at her immediate need for coffee. "Coming right up." I say pulling the jug out of the machine and pouring the coffee into two mugs. I grab the two mugs turning around in her arms and passing her one.

"Mmmmm so good." she moans after taking a sip. We stand like this until our coffees are finished and I place the two mugs into the sink. "Morning baby" my wife say's brightly. I giggle at how quickly the coffee has woken her up.

"Hey" I say placing a soft kiss onto her lips. "You've woken up"

"Well what can I say. Today is going to be good. I get to wake up next to most wonderful woman in the world and spend the day with the other two best ladies in my life."

"Hmmm I guess" I laugh placing my arms around my neck. "However, if we don't hurry up they'll be here and we'll still be in our bed clothes"

"But you're so cuddly" she says pulling into me. I laugh before pulling away and taking her hand leading her upstairs. We both quickly change and get ready and before long the doorbell is ringing. I rush downstairs and throw open the door.

"Auntie Portia!" the two girls scream wrapping themselves around my legs.

"Hey girls." I smile down at them.

"Hey Portia" my brother laughs leaning in to kiss me on the cheek.

"Hey you. How are you doing?"

"Good thanks glad to get a day to ourselves." he laughs nodding towards the two girls who have now run off in search of my wife. "Thanks for looking after them."

"No problem you know we enjoy it." I say shutting the door behind him as he walks into the house.

"Right i've packed everything you should need in here" he says handing me a rucksack

"Thanks."

"Just call me if you have any problems."

"Course we will don't worry. Now go enjoy yourself" I say almost shooing him back and out of the door. I stand waving him off down the drive before heading back into the house.

"AUNTIE PORTIA!" I hear the girls screaming as they run down the hallway.

"Yes girls."

"AUNTIE ELLEN SAYS WE CAN GO IN THE POOL IS THAT OKAY?!" they squeal jumping up and down in excitement.

"Of course. Let's just get your swimming things out of the rucksack." I say opening up the rucksack and pulling out their costumes and towels. I see my wife walking down the hallway just as the girls spot her too.

"AUNTIE PORTIA SAID IT WAS OKAY!" they squeal causing Ellen to laugh. I pass my wife Eva's swimming stuff as she picks her up and carry's her to the bathroom to get changed. I take Perry into the downstairs toilet, changing her and popping her armbands on. When we are done I take her up to Ellen and let her know i'm going to get changed myself. Although both girls can swim I still don't like to let them in the pool by them self. By the time I have run into our closet, changed and headed outside Ellen is sat on the ledge of the pool as the girls float next to her. I run behind Ellen jumping in to the left of her away from the girls but still managing to splash her.

"HEY!" she screams. I resurface and look over to see just how drenched she is.

"Oh my god" I laugh in hysterics and the girls join in. "I'm sorry baby I didn't mean to get you quite that much. Although you might as well join us now."

"I'm going to get you back for that" she says pointing her finger at me before walking back into the house. I laugh and watch the girls swimming towards me.

"Can we play ball?!" Eva asks.

"Course we can." I say reaching for the ball Ellen has placed on the side of the pool. I throw it over to Eva who starts playing with Perry. For sisters they really do get on really well. Much more than me and my brother did at their age. I lean back against the side of the pool watching them having fun. After a while they seem to get bored of the ball and both swim back to me.

"How about you race each other to the other end of the pool?" I suggest.

"YEAH!" they shout.

"I'm obviously going to win." Eva remarks.

"Okay well we'll see won't we? You ready?" They both nod and place their feet against the wall of the pool. "GO!" I shout and watch them both swim off as fast as they could. Just then I hear my wife coming back outside. I turn around just as she lowers herself in the pool.

"So you decided to join us then?" I laugh.

"Well once I was that wet I might as well!" she says swimming over to me. I take my elbows from the side of the pool so she can wrap her arm's around me. I rest my head against the side of hers as we watch the girls swimming back towards us. As Eva's arm touches the side first she starts jumping up and out of the water.

"I WIN I WIN" she screams. We all laugh at how happy she is too have won.

"Right girls" Ellen says. "You wanna help me get Auntie Portia back for splashing me?"

"Oh no Ellen please" I beg but it's too late. I feel her arm's lifting me up out of the water as Eva and Perry grab my legs. "ELLEN!" I scream just as they all let go and I fall down into the water. I resurface rubbing the water from my eyes to see the three of them grinning at me. I can't be angry with any of them they're just too adorable. I roll my eyes before swimming back next to Ell. The girls laugh swimming to the other end of the pool to grab a floating toy. Ellen swims behind me in between my body and the wall wrapping her arms around my stomach. I place my hands on hers as she keeps us both afloat. Resting her head on my shoulder I kiss the side of it and think to myself how lucky I am to have a family like this.

"Me too" Ellen responds making me realise I said it out loud. I giggle turning in her arms and placing a soft kiss on her lips.

"I love you." I whisper to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment