Wednesday 5 February 2014

One Shot: The Airport Lounge

Ellens POV

"Thanks Ell. Think we're all done here if you wanna get off home to Portia. I know she's back today." Mary urged as she open the door to my office.

"Thanks Mary. Yeah I'm gonna try make it too the airport to pick her up if I can. Will see you on Monday."

"Bye Ell." she says shutting the door after her. I pack my things up and dial out the number of the driver who was meant to be picking my wife up.

"Hello."

"Hi Mike. It's Ellen."

"Oh hey Ellen everything okay?"

"Yeah it's all good. Just wanted to let you know I'm gonna pick Portia up from the airport so don't worry about getting there."

"Ah sure thing Ell. Let me know when you need a driver."

"Will do Mike."

"Bye"

"Bye" I say hanging up the phone, grabbing my keys and heading towards the car. Just as I am about to pull away my phone vibrates in the console next too me. I take it out and see a message from Portia.

Hey baby, just landed. Hope the show's going well today. See you at home. love you x

I smile and replace the phone back into the console. Within no time I am pulling up outside the airport. I expect Portia to already be waiting for the driver so when she is not I begin to worry. I get out and take a look around but still can not see her. Not wanting to ruin the surprise in case she has had baggage problems or something I decide not to text her and go into the airport to see if I can find her. I check with the lady on the gate if it is okay to wait in the lounge before heading there. As I reach the doors to the lounge I hear a commotion before a succession of screaming begins. A few people run out screaming warning me to proceed with caution. As I peak my head through the porthole window in the doors I see a masked figure which I presume to be a man, due to the broad shoulders, holding someone in his arms. As he turns slightly my breath catches in my throat and my heart starts to race as I realise the person he is holding is my wife.

'Shit I have to do something' I think to myself not seeing any signs of police arriving. Whilst his back is still turned to the door I slip in and hide behind the vending machine out of the sight.

"WHOS THERE?" he shouts obviously hearing the door. I slide myself between the vending machine and the wall round the corner as I hear his footsteps and my wifes walking towards the door. "Shit. They escaped." he mutters before walking back into the centre of the room. "None of you move understand? Or she gets it!" he shouts to the other passengers in the room. When none of them respond he start's shouting again. "Understand?" he screams.

"Yes."

"Good."

Whilst he is silent I start looking around for something to help me. Unfortunately there isn't much I can reach out with. 'Crap I'm going to just have to go for it and hope for the best.' I think to myself. It takes me a few minutes to syke myself up to move. As I peer around the side of the vending machine one of the passengers see's me and let's out a gasp. I jump back behind just in time before the man sees me. 'Shit that was close' I think to myself. I hear the man's footsteps getting closer to the machine but just before he reaches me one of the other passengers shout's up.

"What exactly do you expect to achieve from this? Do you really just want to kill people?" she shouts. I hear the man turn around quickly.

"What did I tell you! Shut up or she get's it." he sneers and I hear the spit forming in his mouth.

"No come on. If we're all going to die I want to know why then I will shut up."

"Well well we have a feisty one here don't we? I guess if you insist it won't hurt anyway as you're all going to die. None of you are the one i'm really after. This one in my arms is the one i'm here for but I'm just dragging out her pain. You are merely in the wrong place at the wrong time. I want this woman to call her wife so she can watch her die."

'Shit my phone' I think reaching into my pocket and hitting the silent button. I don't want it to get to the point where she has to ring me though so I peer around looking to see where the man is. I see he still has his back to me but by this time I can also see security guards peering through the window so I decide it is now or never. I run from behind the vending machine and time seems to slow to hault as I run up behind the man. Before I know what is happening I have reached up and wrapped my arms around the man's neck causing him to release my wife. I hear her shriek as she turns around and sees me wrestling with the man. I manage to grab my hand's on the gun before he manages to turn it towards anyone. I pull him to the ground rolling around as I see Portia running to grab the metal bin from the other side of the room. The man is stronger than me however and manages find the trigger with his finger. As I realise what he is doing I turn the gun around as he fires twice and the most unimaginable pain shoots up from leg. I fight through the pain trying to figure out if there are still bullets in the gun when I realise the man next to me has gone limp.

"ELLEN!" Portia screams running over towards me kneeling next to me. The last thing I remember as I let the pain take me is her reaching into my pocket for my phone. The next thing I am aware of is a harsh bleeping sound coming from my right. I slowly open my eyes squinting at the brightness turning to my right to find out what the horrible noise is. As my eyes adjust to the light I realise I am in a hospital room. I try to tug my hand up to my face but something is stopping me. I turn to my left to see the beautiful sight of my wife asleep lying on my hand. I want to watch her but my movements must have disturbed her and I see her starting to wake. That's when I begin to feel the rest of the nerves in my body and the pain becomes obvious.

"Ahh" I try to say but no words come out.

"Omg Ell baby" Portia squeals jumping from her chair and placing her hands on my shoulders. I point towards the glass of water on the bedside table next to me and Portia hands it too me. I down the whole glass before passing it back to her.

"Fuck this hurts" I manage to get out this time.

"Oh baby I'll go get the doctor to come give you some meds okay?" she says before running out of the room and returning a few minutes later doctor in tow.

"Well well well if it isn't the hero" the doctor smiles at me. "How are you feeling?"

"It hurt's" I say simply.

"Right okay I'll get the nurse to come down right away and get you some morphine."

"Thanks."

"Is it okay if I take a quick look?" he says pointing towards my leg. I nod to show it is okay as Portia retakes my hand whilst the doctor checks me over. Once the nurse has been to administer my medication and we are alone in the room again I turn to Portia to see a tear rolling down her face.

"Hey what's up?"

"I-I" she starts beginning to sob now. I pull her hand towards me forcing her to stand up and sit on the side of the bed. I pull her into a hug so she has her head resting on my chest. After a while her sobs subside and starts to carry on. "Ell I thought I'd lost you" she stutters and with that the sobs begin again.

"Baby you're never going to lose me okay?" I say pulling her face up so our eyes meet and she realises how serious I am. I see a slight smile start to form on her face before I pull her face up and our lips meet. We both moan into the kiss as it deepens our tongues swirling in perfect motion. As we both pull away slightly breathless I smile at her and place a soft kiss onto her forehead. "I thought he was going to kill you." I say softly almost to myself.

"I think had you not turned up at that point he was going to. Baby you have now officially saved my life in every way possible."

"Oh come off it. I was just in the right place at the right time."

"Yeah why were you there?"

"Well I came to surprise you at the airport but when you didn't come out I came to the lounge to wait for you thinking you'd had baggage problems or something."

"Oooh. Aww baby have I ever said you are the best wife in the world?"

"A few times." I say smirking at her.

"Yeah well you are. You took a bullet for me. Not many people get to say that."

"Hey you'd have done the same."

"God I love you Ell."

"You too Port. I don't know what i'd have done without you."

"Me either" she says and with that she closes the gap between us again. I'm not saying this because both of us just nearly died but I really am the luckiest. I have the best life in the world and most wonderful woman as my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment